I can't believe we are almost halfway through the countdown! Once again, these five songs represent a lil somethin' for everyone. Enjoy....
65) Heaven - Bryan Adams (1985) -- Bryan Adams was a 'hit machine' back in the mid/late 80's, and his most powerful and lasting work, is "Heaven". The song is heavily influenced by the Journey song "Faithfully", and was actually written while Adams was on the road, opening up for Journey. In the song, Adams is reminiscing about the past, but while still recounting the present, and reminding his woman that she, indeed, is all he ever wanted.If there was ever a perfect song for a man to express his love and devotion to a woman, this is it.
64) You Really Got Me - The Kinks (1964) -- One of the single most influential songs in the history of music, "You Really Got Me" catapulted The Kinks into worldwide stardom. The song contains what is probably the best, and most recognizable, power chords in the history of rock 'n roll - making this tune legendarily catchy. The song itself is just barely over two minutes long, but is still very relevant on the rock scene 50 years later. Ray Davies may never get the credit he deserves as far as being a classic rock "heavyweight" - but he certainly deserves to be in that conversation.
63) Linger - The Cranberries (1993) -- The Cranberries were a 90's band from Ireland, and their first hit was their best song, 1993's "Linger". Lead singer Dolores O' Riordan is on the record as saying this song is about her first kiss. The song hits a little harder than that, though, as she describes being lied to, and cheated on, in colorful and descriptive detail. A song we can all relate to, but certainly during that time in your life when you are trying to 'get over' someone. This song is a reminder that memories, good and bad, do linger.
62) I Melt With You - Modern English (1982) -- If you are a child of the 80's, you either remember this song from it's video, or from being in the movie 'Valley Girl' (starring a very young Nicolas Cage). Either way, it is a fun little new wave love song that is actually about a couple that is making love as nuclear bombs are falling on them from the sky. Modern English was the epitome of a 'one hit wonder' - but they will live forever with the hypnotizing "I Melt With You".
61) Suit & Tie - Justin Timberlake w/ Jay-Z (2013) -- When two of the classiest and most talented guys in the pop music world get together, the result should be something special, and it is with Timberlake and Jay-Z's "Suit & Tie". The song is basically all about being; handsome, well-dressed, and filthy rich - all things that these two dudes know pretty well. Timberlake has certainly put his own unique stamp on contemopary R&B music - and a perfect example of his skills and versatility, is the very dynamic "Suit & Tie".
Return to: Ty's Blog Blog