Back to the countdown we go. These 5 songs cover 5 decades, from hip-hop to an oldies classic. Enjoy....
75) That's The Way Love Goes - Janet Jackson (1993) -- The Grammy Award-winning "That's The Way Love Goes" is probably Janet's most heralded, and praised work. An innovative and timeless song, that represents a bit of a 'coming out party' for Janet Jackson. Before this, most of her songs were light-hearted and fairly whimsickle. This song however, is downright nasty, as Janet is talking here about pleasure, and sex - and in quite the detail! Janet is, without question, one of the most talented and beautiful women, ever to bless us with her musical gifts - and this is as sultry and sexy, as a song can possibly get.
74) C.R.E.A.M. - Wu-Tang Clan (1994) -- Until the day I die, I will always believe that next to Public Enemy - Wu-Tang Clan was the best and most important rap group in the history of hip-hop. Perhaps their best work was"CREAM", an acronym for "Cash Rules Everything Around Me". The "Enter The Wu-Tang (36 Chambers)" CD is maybe the greatest in rap history, and whether it is; Method Man, The RZA, Ghostface Killa, Raekwon, etc. - the flow, and sheer rapping ability of the entire crew, is second to none. This song is about real life, and growing up on the tough New York streets. The group's goal being to "kick the truth, to the young, black, youth" - and it does even better than that, giving us all a dose of reality.
73) A Night Like This - The Cure (1985) -- One of the very best groups of the 80's new-wave invasion, was The Cure. Frontman Robert Smith is a very clever song-writer, and this is a very simple, catchy love song. It is about a man who has lost his love, and would do anything to get her back. "I'm coming to find you if it takes me all night - can't stand here like this anymore. For always and ever its always for you - I want it to be perfect like before." If you've ever been broken up with, and it WAS YOUR OWN FAULT, then this is your song.
72) Do Ya Think I'm Sexy - Rod Stewart (1978) -- In the late 70's everyone was dabbling in the disco world, and the great Rod Stewart was no exception. "Do Ya Think I'm Sexy" is a brilliantly written song about what basically is your classic one night stand. A guy meets a gal in a club, and they subsequently go back to his place, and spend the night together. He doesn't exactly kick her out the following morning, either, as the underlying message here is 'let's just stay in bed'. Of course, it was 'anything goes' back in those cocaine induced "Saturday Night Fever" days of that era, and AIDS had not been heard of yet. Therefore, he was given a pass regarding the song's lyrics, but still, this song is absolutely timeless, carefree, and fun.
71) My Girl - The Temptations (1964) -- Talk about a song that will truly be around forever. "My Girl" is a song that has been sung by every generation since its introduction into the music world 50 years ago. Written by the great Smokey Robinson, and perfectly sung by the ultra soulful sound of lead singer David Ruffin - "My Girl" is three minutes of musical bliss, and perfection. This is one of the most 'covered' songs in music history, and Ruffin said it "belongs to every man in the world that has ever been in love"......That would be most of us, bro! LOL
Coming next - songs #70-66.
Return to: Ty's Blog Blog