I love football, on any level. It could be the pros playing on Super Bowl Sunday - or a pee-wee team of 10 year olds, it doesn't matter. I love football.
And I certainly remember how fired up I was when I played in high school, especially before the first game of the season. Hot 96.7 is at the opener for Mankato West tonight, as they take on the Tigers, from Albert Lea. I am certainly no expert when it comes to picking winners, but I have (not so scientifically) disected 6 area games for this weekend, and have made a prediction for each one.
Good luck to you and your kids, wherever they may be playing this weekend! Here we go!
1) Mankato West vs. Albert Lea - The Scarlets are always very good - whereas the Tigers are not. Its a home game for Mankato West, the crowd will be huge, and very pumped up. Did I mention that Mankato West won this game last year by the score of 64-14!? If the Scarlets lose this game - I will streak down Riverfront Drive TONIGHT! Its just not happening. Mankato West wins this one, big!
2) St. Peter vs. Windom - It's a FOOTBALL FRIDAY tomorrow night in St. Peter, and it should be a victorious one for the Saints. St. Peter can score points on offense, and Windom cannot. The Eagles are seemingly always bad, and they only averaged about 9 points per game last year. The Saints will go marching in (to the end zone), LOL! I got the Saints!
3) Fairmont vs. Jackson County Central - This is, without question, the best game in the area this weekend. These are two teams that are very familiar with each other, and are long time rivals. In a very close, physical game - I got the Cardinals!
4) Mankato East vs. Rochester Century - Are you ready for a big upset? Wins have been hard to come by for the Cougars recently, and this is a game they lost badly last season. However, REVENGE is a huge factor in high school and college football - and East should be more than motivated for the season opener. The Cougars will definitely open some eyes, after they pull this one off!
5) New Ulm vs. New Prague - This is a match-up of two squads that COMBINED for one victory last season, so this is a big game for each. Points will be at an absolute premium, as both of these offenses were terrible last year. My ex-wife went to New Prague......which makes this pick a lil easier - gimme the New Ulm Eagles, to get their first win in two years!
6) Loyola vs. Blooming Prairie - I wanna pick the Crusaders to win this game soooooo badly - my son is a future Crusader, and this would be an enormous win. The problem is, Blooming Prairie is; very good, very experienced, and very confident. They made it to State last year, and beat Loyola 46-7. I believe this will be a much better season for Loyola, but this may be biting off a lil more than they can chew - especially for week 1. In a game that will be closer than many think, I'll still take Blooming Prairie, reluctantly.
GOOD LUCK TO ALL OF OUR AREA TEAMS!
The Vikings open their season tomorrow night against the Raiders - and optimism is in the air here in Mankato. Expectations are not very high for the Vikings this year, according to the experts. The great thing about the 'experts' however, is that most of the time they are wrong!
If you are a fan of the Purple - but you don't want to have to actually sit through all 16 games this season, don't worry. I have taken the time to forecast the outcome of every game this year, so fear not! You don't even have to watch a single game....just read below, and you will know exactly how this season will turn out for the Vikings. Here we go - hint, hint - get your playoff tickets now, lol!
Here are weeks 1-4, guaranteed, lol!
Week 1 at St. Louis Rams - WIN (30-24) - The Rams haven't been any good since Bill Clinton's first term. SKOL!
Week 2 vs. New England Patriots - WIN (19-13) - Tom Brady gets injured on the escalator at Mall of America, and has a bad game. We'll take it.
Week 3 at New Orleans Saints - WIN (33-30) - The Vikes have been waiting a long time for some payback from that NFC Championship Game loss a few years ago. Brett Favre can't throw this one away. LOL
Week 4 vs. Atlanta Falcons - WIN (23-7) - The "D" is fantastic, the home crowd is raucous, and A.P. runs wild on the Falcons!
So far so good. We are 4-0 after the first month.
If only it were this easy!
Have you ever seen someone out in public, or maybe even on TV - and you think to yourself,"What in the world is wrong with that guy/gal? Me too, we probably all have. Well, with that in mind, I found a few people this week that absolutely deserve to be made fun of. Sometimes I do stupid stuff......but not this stupid, lol! Check these stories out.
1) HORSIN' AROUND - In Alabama, police recently arrested a 45-year old woman who was attempting to rob a liquor store ON HORSEBACK! When the cops arrived, they found the horse tied up in front of the store, with a bag of Keystone Light cans hanging from the saddle. When police entered the store the woman was demanding cigarettes, and threatening store employees with a screwdriver. Upon being arrested, the woman was heard screaming,"Just take care of Dino!" - Dino is living a comfortable, crime free life on a nearbye farm - while his former owner is sitting in jail. Nowadays, I don't think anyone can get away with ANY CRIME ON HORSEBACK! LOL
2) WHAT'S THAT SMELL! - The police in Berlin, Germany got calls about a foul odor that was coming from inside an apartment. The cops, thinking there was a dead body inside, prepared for the worst. When they broke down the door, they found the tenant (a 24 year old male) sleeping next to a giant pile of dirty laundry. The clothes, along with the man's dirty feet, were responsible for the smell. Neighbors that were two blocks away were complaining about the stench. How funky does a guy have to be to be offending neighbors that are a half mile away? Can you be thrown in jail for being too stinky? Maybe you should.
3) MAN FINDS GOD....KINDA - In Baton Rouge, Louisiana - there is a chef that claims he found God in an eggplant. I will explain. He was cutting open an eggplant, and he claims that the seeds inside the eggplant very clearly spelled out the word 'GOD'. He claims it is a life-changing miracle. So, if you are looking to find God - I suggest starting in the produce department! LOL
One of the best parts of the summer is all of the parades in our area. I always love going out to the parades to see, and meet, our listeners and their families. Parade season gets into full swing this weekend, starting on Friday with all of the 4th of July festivities in St. Peter. Here is a list of the upcoming parades that Hot 96.7 will be at - I hope to see you at one of them!
-- Friday July 4th - Parade in St. Peter at 10 am starting on South Washington Ave. It's gonna be a fun day in St. Peter - for a complete list of activities, click http://www.stpeterchamber.com/4th-of-july.
-- Saturday July 12th - North Mankato Fun Days Parade at 11am. Full list of events at http://www.northmankatofundays.com/2014FunDaysSchedule.final.pdf
-- Sunday July 13th - Farm City Funfest Parade in Winthrope, 2pm.
The entire weekend line-up at http://www.winthropminnesota.com/index.asp?Type=B_BASIC&SEC=%7B88ACAEDE-0E40-45DD-88F5-D1D871A80D1A%7D
-- Wednesday July 16th - Festag Days Parade in Minnesota Lake, 7pm. For all the info http://minnesotalake.com/7-2/
-- Saturday July 19th - Tator Days Parade in Eagle Lake, 1pm. For the entire weekend line-up click http://www.eaglelakemn.com/sub/community-events/
-- Sunday July 20th - Bavarian Blast Parade in New Ulm, 12:30pm. More info on Bavarian Blast at http://bavarianblast.com/
-- Saturday July 26th - Paddlefish Days Parade in Madison Lake, 1pm. For more visit http://www.paddlefishdays.com/scheduleofevents.htm
I sincerely hope to see you and yours at one of these parades in the month of July!
I have recently caught "World Cup Fever" - especially after the United States' victory over Ghana yesterday. So, to help the casual observer, I have come up with a short list of my three favorite aspects of this World Cup. Here you go.
1) The USA's team is not very well respected by the other teams and nations of the world - simply put - they don't think that we are very good. No problem! That means there is absolutely no pressure on our boys - and they can play free and easy, as they did yesterday. Forget WINNING the World Cup, if the United States can just make it past the quarter finals - it will have been our best World Cup ever! That is a very real possibility.
2) I love that Brazil is basically in the same time zone that we are in. Therefore, all the games, not just the U.S. games, are televised at a decent hour, just as if they were being played here, in the midwest somewhere. We will appreciate this more in 4 years when the World Cup is in Russia, and we are forced to watch our American squad play at 3am!
3) The World Cup seems like the ultimate party - and there is no doubt that there is 'mucha fiesta' going on in Brazil this month. There is constant; music, singing, and dancing. Everyone appears to be in a great mood, whether their team wins, loses, or draws. After all, its just a game. Great sportsmanship is shown by all 32 teams. We Americans should take a cue from that.
So, don't forget our American slogan for our team - "I believe that we will win."
Keep those fingers crossed - and lets hope for another big win against Portugal on Sunday!